Keith Lancaster
Home to Index  

Note: The reports have been scanned in as written. I have included the height and distance indications, e.g.:
(1000'- 12m.- 4.45p.m.)
which read as follows: height in feet - miles for the day - time.
On Friday evening, Oct. 12th. 1962, I left Launceston with the L.W.C. party in the Club bus. Travelling via the Tasman Highway we camped for the night near Bicheno.

Next morning we breakfasted early and left Bicheno at 8.40 a.m.. Driving southwards, we turned off to the left along the road to Half Moon Bay which, according to the sign, lay 4 miles down the road. After about 2 miles along the deteriorating thoroughfare, the bus was turned about and the passengers disembarked at 9.15 a.m.. Only a few yards away lay the coast which we reached near a derelict (though not old) hut. Due to a sprained ankle casualty and the necessity to return to the bus, much time and three members were lost before we really got started.

Soon we had to climb over a low shoulder to round Cape Lodi and then work down to the northern end of Half Moon Bay, where we found quite a few shells - warriners in the main, but small mussels, cart wheel purples and turbans were in evidence. We located the end of a vehicular track running inland and another one farther along the beach. Beyond the beaches, rocky shores resumed and we were obliged to make minor breaks away from the coast before reaching the northern end of the Friendly Beaches where we lunched (11.45 - 12.30 p.m.).

We progressed southwards along these lengthy beaches until 2.40 p.m. when we halted and conferred before leaving the beach and heading on a magnetic compass course of 205 deg. for the central peak of three nearby eminences assuming that it must be Mt. Peter. Heavy clouds had gathered threateningly and rain appeared imminent. Beyond the sand and near the base of our early climb, we crossed a vehicular track and surmounted the first small ridge. We skirted the base of the attached northern peak to reach the base of the central peak, but our hopes of discovering drinking water in the intervening creek gully were not realised.

Due to a misunderstanding, the main party halted for shelter at the base whilst I continued in light rain up the steep sides of the peak to reach the dolerite summit of Mt. Peter at 3.55 p.m.. Terry Gill and Michael Roberts arrived soon after, packless, and we discussed plans during a break in the rain. The view was restricted to only the high peak over to our south. Our immediate problem was to find a suitable campsite with water. The only near point appeared to be in the gully between this peak and the one to the south. It was agreed that I make a direct descent on the southern side to the creek gully and explore it downwards whilst Terry and Michael return down the eastern side, rejoin the party and skirt around the base to the creek gully, which they would follow upwards until we met.

I was soon down in the dry creek-bed, but managed to locate a few small wog-infested water holes farther down. I made contact with the slow-moving party at 5 p.m. and camp was set up to the south of the creek-bed. The rain and wind both increased as the day waned and we all retired at 9 p.m..

It was still showery next morning, although the water supply received little augmenting. At 8.10 a.m. we left to climb the peak to the south, Mt. Paul and were on top at 8.35 a.m. from which one can gauge it was not a formidable mountain. Returning to camp, we took up our packs and turned eastwards for the coast, swinging around the substantial lagoon to the south to reach the beach and continue southwards. A swim was enjoyed near the southern end of the Friendly Beaches before we left the coast at 11.50 a.m. and followed up the north side of the associated lagoon to descend into a semi-open valley for lunch at a nice stream (12.15 - 1.5 p.m.).

Then we climbed to the S.W., steadily ascending a high ridge to cross its crest at 1.45 p.m.

Contrary to the dolerite tops of the two peaks we had climbed, this ridge crest was granite. We maintained a steady pace eastwards, threading our way through the light scrub and following a growing creek down until we reached the Coles Bay Road at the creek crossing at 2.45 p.m.. The sun was out now and our remaining journey to link up with our other members and the bus at Coles Bay passed joyfully.
Home to Index  
If you would like more information on Keith Lancaster's diaries, please feel free to send me an email.